George Mason basketball will open the 2012-2013 season against Virginia on November 9 in Fairfax. Expectations are for the Patriots to live up to last season's performance. They'll need to overcome the loss of 35% of their minutes from last season with the contributions of four incoming freshmen.
George Mason will suffer from a 49.2% drop in rebounding, the largest gap that the team will need to fill. Right behind that is shot blocking, where they drop 49% from last season's numbers.
George Mason finished last season with an overall record of 23-8 and placed 3rd in the CAA regular season with a conference record of 14-4. The Patriots would go on to lose to Virginia Commonwealth 74-64 in the CAA tournament. George Mason lost last year's seniors Ryan Pearson (30 minutes per game), Mike Morrison (26 MPG), and Andre Cornelius (21 MPG). The Patriots must also do without Jacob Hoxie (1 MPG) and Jordan Baird (1 MPG), who left the team.
The Patriots welcome back junior Bryon Allen (3.7 assists/game), junior Sherrod Wright (9.6 points/game), junior Vertail Vaughns (8.8 points/game), sophomore Corey Edwards (2.2 assists/game), and sophomore Erik Copes (1.9 blocked shots/game).
The Patriots get incoming freshmen including 6-1 Patrick Holloway, 6-7 Jalen Jenkins, 6-7 Michael Rudy, and 6-8 Marko Gujanicic. Also coming aboard are 6-8 junior Johnny Williams and 6-8 sophomore Anali Okoloji (transferred from Seton Hall). George Mason kicks off CAA play on January 3rd against Northeastern.
Tags: Ryan Pearson
- George Mason has had 2 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, George Mason has an overall winning percentage of 65.7%. The Patriots have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 68.0%.
- The Patriots have an average conference finish of 2.2 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 3.1.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 178.0.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is South Florida (#36).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Maryland-Baltimore County (#338).
, Mike Morrison
, Andre Cornelius
, Jacob Hoxie
, Jordan Baird
, Bryon Allen
, Sherrod Wright
, Vertrail Vaughns
, Corey Edwards
, Erik Copes
, Patrick Holloway
, Jalen Jenkins
, Michael Rudy
, Marko Gujanicic
, Johnny Williams
, Anali Okoloji